Marine Arena

It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 10:24

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 12:52 
Publisher
Publisher

I remember reading about an old woman, 85+, African American from Kentucky or Tennessee. All her life she never needed an ID. When told about the new rule, she wouldn't know where to find her birth certificate.

But there is the election for Montana's only congressional district. To save money, Election board clerks around the state said it would be best to do mail-ballot, which they have experience doing in the state with near-zero cases of fraud. That suggestion got approved in the state senate. They passed the bill. I think the House would take it up, and then goes to the Democratic governor for signing.

Out this week came a letter from the Republican party chairman of the state, imploring his House colleagues not to vote for the bill. Why not? Saves $1 million or so to do the special election, where people are few and the land travel is vast. The letter said doing mail-in would push the turn out for the Democratic party and destroy the GOP's plan to keep that seat Republican for a long while.

Voting ID in Pennsylvania was also enacted with the intention to suppress the votes. That intention is on the record, with video and such.

But let me ask you. Seeing the only fair way to enact this desire to have one ID one vote while making sure there is no suppression purpose, would you support national ID?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 02:17 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Do you know anyone who doesn't have an ID? Because I don't.

What did you think of the God Emperor's address last night?

Thoughts on March 15th?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 05:18 
Publisher
Publisher

When I studied in the U.S., I didn't have the state ID, nor did I need a driver license. I had the U.S. passport and school ID. My military ID expired.

In Texas, DMVs could be as far as 100 miles away, according to an ACLU speech I saw on C-Span back then. There is this inherent unfairness to it: You can use gun license as ID substitute, but college student ID is not good enough.

What do you think about the this report from Montana GOP chairman, saying that anything to increase turn out would mean the end of the GOP party in the state? (Source)

The Brennan Center at NYU law has a big research on this subject, calling it a "myth" by the end of it. (source). How insulting it was for Trump to lie that 2-3 million votes Hillary won over him were fraud, over and over, without a single shred of evidence backing this "epidemic." The White House also cited Texas and New Hampshire as full of voter frauds, In the Texas case, here's what a local paper found. As for New Hampshire, the former state AG said, NO SUCH THING (source).

As for the speech, I am taken aback by the trillion dollar infrastructure spending proposal, which Trump said would come from public and private sources. This is code word for block grants going into private companies, letting them build anything they deemed publicly needed, rather than what the states and cities needed. America has a road and bridge problem. Here's one report on those deficiencies, with summary charts on the earlier pages (source). USA Today updated that 2010 report with the number of 61,000 bridges "structurally deficient." These are jobs that can't be off-shored. These are jobs the Americans know how to do and good at. It doesn't take brain power to see how much the country needs this.

About March 15, what is it?

And I brought charts:
Attachment:
blog_kaiser_subsidies_obamacare_vs_house_0.jpg
blog_kaiser_subsidies_obamacare_vs_house_0.jpg [ 67.28 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
The House's plans for Obamacare is designed to screw those in needs while leaving the affluent untouched. Way to go!
Attachment:
blog_inflation_january_2017.jpg
blog_inflation_january_2017.jpg [ 76.54 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
Remember how it was considered to be a "smart" person to predict that the 2008 bailout of banks would bring inflation to the roof? Remember that austerity was the fashionable prescription for the early Obama years? Remember when the Republicans pointed to Greece as the example of where the US could go if it doesn't clamp down on printing money? I am still waiting for that 4-5% inflation because I am thinking of building a nuclear bunker made out of .9999 gold bricks.
Attachment:
blog_us_murder_rate_0.jpg
blog_us_murder_rate_0.jpg [ 64.03 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
How about them numbers! Massive crime waves sweeping America! Rudy G. for AG!
Attachment:
blog_tax_corporate_share_gdp.jpg
blog_tax_corporate_share_gdp.jpg [ 47.43 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
This chart got shared a lot around the office. The giggles it generated when viewed side-by-side with the dumb comments Trump made during the speech. Seriously, have the smart people the country gone to hiding? Is this what the office of POTUS peddle to the commoners and people are okay with that?
Attachment:
blog_public_view_foreign_aid_spending_0.jpg
blog_public_view_foreign_aid_spending_0.jpg [ 76.71 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
This is the actual number of U.S. foreign aid. Two-thirds of that go to Israel and Egypt each year. That's not even secret knowledge. It's just that diplomacy people know this for years while idiots like Pat Buchanan, Alex Jones, and now DJT peddle to the national TV audience.
Attachment:
blog_baseline_defense_budget_authority_2001_2018.jpg
blog_baseline_defense_budget_authority_2001_2018.jpg [ 54 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
Yeah, since September 11, 2001, the military has been starving for funding, and now DJT will liberate Defense. I am surprised my fellow veterans of the American Arm Forces have been so stupid to be suckered into this idiot. Their trauma to Vietnam is understandable, but come on, 50-60 years later, how could they still believe DoD doesn't get the toys they wanted?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 13:11 
Publisher
Publisher

Diz, this whole Russian entanglement is one big ball of yarn, full of threads unspooling at the daily pace.

It's time I ask what you're picking up from your side of the reading list?

One question: Did the DoJ changed the rules on who from the WH can contact the FBI and inquire about an investigation. Last check, only 4 people from the WH was authorized, and Reince Priebus wasn't one of those.

State Dept. haven't done a daily press briefing since Trump took over. This is the first time since 1950 that the State Dept. went radio silence like this.

I think tomorrow is a good time I pay the American consulate staff a visit and catch up on the gossip.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31