Marine Arena


It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 09:25

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 2931 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 17:17 
Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 08:10
Posts: 69
euryleia wrote:
Rageypoo wrote: I see, so when I come up with a better argument, the go-to is that I shouldn't be involved in these topics (can't voice my opinion) and that my opinion is half baked. Oh and siding with Milo is instantly wrong because you say so.

Gotcha.
Don't go passive-aggressiva on me.


I offer no resistance, I answered your questions with a better argument and you couldn't handle it without telling me to butt out or marginalize me, so don't go libtard feminazi on me.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 17:26 
Offline
Publisher
Publisher
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 15:41
Posts: 427
I offer no resistance, I answered your questions with a better argument and you couldn't handle it without telling me to butt out or marginalize me, so don't go libtard feminazi on me.
Ah now we are getting there. Nowhere in the discourse I declared myself as 3rd Wave but there you were, raising the term. I thought, Oh well, maybe he's just misguided. But then, you got offended because I pointed out the grotesque behind Milo's view, and started taking liberty to play with "libtard feminazi." One could ask, what does that even mean? But why ask when you took the time and declared that you are no "follower" of Milo.

Only during #Gamergate did the terms come up from those less than 30s. Outside of that, Rush Limbaugh was the earliest user in memory. So either you're a Rushbo wannabe but failed to construct something worth parsing (common obstacle), or you're just a dilettante trying to find depth in your pond.

Thanks for devolving the thread to high-school level.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 17:33 
Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 08:10
Posts: 69
euryleia wrote:
I offer no resistance, I answered your questions with a better argument and you couldn't handle it without telling me to butt out or marginalize me, so don't go libtard feminazi on me.
Ah now we are getting there. Nowhere in the discourse I declared myself as 3rd Wave but there you were, raising the term. I thought, Oh well, maybe he's just misguided. But then, you got offended because I pointed out the grotesque behind Milo's view, and started taking liberty to play with "libtard feminazi." One could ask, what does that even mean? But why ask when you took the time and declared that you are no "follower" of Milo.

Only during #Gamergate did the terms come up from those less than 30s. Outside of that, Rush Limbaugh was the earliest user in memory. So either you're a Rushbo wannabe but failed to construct something worth parsing (common obstacle), or you're just a dilettante trying to find depth in your pond.

Thanks for devolving the thread to high-school level.
[+] Click to see more
euryleia wrote: To save you time, I suggest you skip reading this because there are more pressing things in the world than offending or defending over a privileged punk, whose existence now is to generate hate toward himself, channel that hate into self-vindication, and derive narcissistic energy to produce even more hate. The perfect White Man for the Age of Trump.
Wear the glasses, become the victim.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 17:44 
Offline
Publisher
Publisher
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 15:41
Posts: 427
You got me there about "privilege" too:
I dropped out of university twice. I try to tell myself I’m in good company, but ultimately it doesn’t say great things about you unless you go on to terrific success in your own right – which, in my case, remains to to be seen. I may go back to Cambridge at some point. I know I should. But it’s hard when you’re approaching 30 and building a company and traveling all over the world and doing TV and all the other stuff people say you get your degree to be in with a chance of achieving to pull the plug and go back to writing essays about representations of addiction in Marlovian anti-heroes. (source)
If that's not a privilege, consider how many people gets to go to the university once, let alone failing twice.
Rageypoo wrote:Wear the glasses, become the victim.
So welcome to the simplified world for the ill-equipped. "Wear the glasses, become the victim" is the perfect slogan. Call Milo for his privilege, become 3rd Wave. Call him narcissistic, perfect White Man for the Age of Trump, become "feminazi" <---- whatever that means.

Leave complexity at the door. Critical thinking not needed. You don't even have to know the context of anything. Just bark and the world will snap in order. Milo's Republic.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 18:26 
Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 18:21
Posts: 107
Location: CSFB
Even going once to Oxbridge is a great privilege imo.

Milo has helped making gays much more socially accepted in the alt-right. That is a good thing.

_________________
http://graphics.wsj.com/investment-banking-scorecard/


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 20:45 
Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer

Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 22:19
Posts: 152
@Eury, I'm at work so this will be quick but I wanted to point this out. You talked about Trumps insidious actions and pointed out how Trump acted with Australia's PM. Here is an audio interview with the PM refuting all the lies that have been spread, all those lies that you believed.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 21:49 
Offline
Publisher
Publisher
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 15:41
Posts: 427
I have gone back to read what I wrote about the Down Under episode and to my surprise, I hadn't. The cases I used to illustrate the harsh criticism is NSC and the gut call made on the Yemen strike. (I could be wrong and forgot where I wrote it. Will amend if I was wrong then, too)

* * *

Now, let's see this through the lenses of the diplomatic world:

1. You have the Australian PM calling a local, station saying everything was smooth. Reporter could understandably feel perplexed due to anonymous stories reporting the opposite. But here was the primary source, so who would you believe?

2. You have reports from the Senators' office going of Ben Cardin said he would go to Mexico soon to "repair" damages, of John McCain issuing public statement expressing affirmation on the US-Oz relationship, and of Cardin and Bob Corker going to Germany and Jordan officials. These are 3 official, primary sources too. And of 2 them sit on the Sen. Com. of Foreign Affairs. --- same group doing State Dept. oversight. McCain is Armed Service, which is DoD oversight. So it would be amazing to see 3 different offices declaring clean up work for the White House. (source)

3. So this is my theory and I have nothing as proof right now. I will return to this if I read/hear anything more: Oz Turnbull did Trump a favor by going on the record and smooth things out. How the call ended is a small footnote. Trump could be slamming down the phone, or he did not. But the NYT got a different angle than the Post and teased out some details as about the call:
The Trump administration official said the call was shorter than planned, and ended abruptly after Mr. Turnbull told the president it was necessary for the refugees to be accepted. The details of the call were confirmed by a senior administration official with direct knowledge of the exchange who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the diplomatic talks. (Emphasis mine; source)
So how important is the slammed phone? Not important to the degree that it could be a crisis. It could be a bargaining chip, though. To get Turnbull not to add more one complaint about Trump's handling of international diplomacy, to get McCain to issue affirmation of the alliance without Turnbull doing a direct contradiction, what did he get in return? Diplomacy is about give and take. In this case, 3 primary sources, 2 reports with different angles, are signalling to us that Trump is an amateur at leader-to-leader interaction. It also shows a big weakness which other foreign leaders would be a fool not to exploit.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 22:50 
Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer

Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 22:19
Posts: 152
I got you.

Page 25.
So 2 weeks in, morale is questionable. Idiotic missteps like the Australian phone call, or the Ukraine-Russia testing ground, or the EO, or the Iranian's ballistic test, are enough to skip any attempt to cite sources. I have to ask you with a straight face: Is this your vote?
I apologize, the call wasn't insidious, it was an idiotic misstep.


Top
   
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 22:55 
Offline
Publisher
Publisher
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 15:41
Posts: 427
Updated the response and expanded on the possible theory behind the Oz phone call. I will put that spoiler here for you:
[+] Click to see more
Now, let's see this through the lenses of the diplomatic world:

1. You have the Australian PM calling a local, station saying everything was smooth. Reporter could understandably feel perplexed due to anonymous stories reporting the opposite. But here was the primary source, so who would you believe?

2. You have reports from the Senators' office going of Ben Cardin said he would go to Mexico soon to "repair" damages, of John McCain issuing public statement expressing affirmation on the US-Oz relationship, and of Cardin and Bob Corker going to Germany and Jordan officials. These are 3 official, primary sources too. And of 2 them sit on the Sen. Com. of Foreign Affairs. --- same group doing State Dept. oversight. McCain is Armed Service, which is DoD oversight. So it would be amazing to see 3 different offices declaring clean up work for the White House. (source)

3. So this is my theory and I have nothing as proof right now. I will return to this if I read/hear anything more: Oz Turnbull did Trump a favor by going on the record and smooth things out. How the call ended is a small footnote. Trump could be slamming down the phone, or he did not. But the NYT got a different angle than the Post and teased out some details as about the call:
The Trump administration official said the call was shorter than planned, and ended abruptly after Mr. Turnbull told the president it was necessary for the refugees to be accepted. The details of the call were confirmed by a senior administration official with direct knowledge of the exchange who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the diplomatic talks. (Emphasis mine; source)
I still stand by the idiotic misstep characterization of Trump's action. Phone calls are supposed to be the easiest rapport building mechanic a leader can have with other, outside of playing golf. You have State Dept. people prepping all of the right material for you. All you have to do is pick up the phone and be cordial. If anything is disagreeable, you said, I'll have my people look into this, or that, Mr. _______, and I will get back to you at another time. There's a play book for this. Why he couldn't follow the dance steps is my amazement.

In other news: DoD chief now affirms US-Japan relation. This is common, don't misunderstand me. But given the news that the 3 offices above had to do clean up work, it is easy to believe Mattis is here to clean up as well. You might remember Trump saying during the campaign that the US spent a lot of money for Okinawa command and got nothing in return.

Side note on Japan's Military Defense vs GDP if you care to read:
[+] Click to see more
In the linked source, I want you to know one thing that tend to show up in JP's defense conversation and it goes something like this, "Japan now spends less than 1 percent of its gross domestic product on defense, and some U.S. hawks have argued Tokyo should pay more for its own protection."

I don't know how many times I've seen this but it's almost like saying, I am an American and my primary language is American English. That 1-percent spending is tied deeply to the core identity of the Japanese government and people. it goes to the pacifist manifesto post-WWII. And for a long time now, South Korea has been reminding Japan of this no matter how many times China tried to trip Tokyo.

There are psychological reasons to fear the 1-percent becoming 2 or 3. The Japanese hawks delight at the notion of going 2 or 3, and crafted plans for such miracle. But I stopped reading about those annually updated plans because I thought it sounded so far fetch...until now.
* * *

Btw: Here's the full text from a lawsuit vs Virginia on the EO, taking on the Fifth and Equal Protection Clause angle. Can't wait to hear from you on the specific language. One wrinkle here is the conclusion portion included Justice Harlan, who had a special spot in Romer vs Evans written by Justice Kennedy. (This also affirms that arguing from the First point of view might be harder than expected).

* * *

I just saw a link to Reuters: EO is completely blocked. States of Washington and Minnesota filed the motion. States argued that they have Standing due to the ban affecting their economies. The judge didn't rule on its constitutionality. Government will appeal, ofc.


Top
   
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 08:42 
Offline
Publisher
Publisher
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 15:41
Posts: 427
Diz, about that theory on the slammed phone call, something similar happened South of the US as well.

Attachment:
us-yes.jpg
us-yes.jpg [ 77.21 KiB | Viewed 399 times ]

First, a threat from the US.
[+] Click to see more
“You have a bunch of bad hombres down there,” Trump told Pena Nieto, according to the excerpt seen by the Associated Press. “You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it.”

A person with access to the official transcript of the phone call provided an excerpt to the Associated Press. The person gave it on condition of anonymity because the administration did not make the details of the call public.

The Mexican website, Aristegui Noticias, on Tuesday published a similar account of phone call, based on the reporting of journalist Dolia Estevez. The report described Trump as humiliating Pena Nieto in a confrontational conversation.

Mexico's foreign relations department denied that account, saying it “is based on absolute falsehoods,” and later said the statement also applied to the excerpt provided to the Associated Press.
Then a complete refutation from the other side.

Attachment:
mexico-no.jpg
mexico-no.jpg [ 71.59 KiB | Viewed 399 times ]

Australia and Mexico make two.

* * * * *
Back to the Australia affair, There's also a timeline. Reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald posted a press note from the US embassy in Oz, saying deal's done as of _____ local time. Then you have Trump tweeted about studying the "dumb deal" an hour later when you figure in the time differences between Canberra and D.C.

I can't figure it out.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 2931 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Theme Created by HOLLYSMOKE
Theme updated to phpBB 3.1.3 by KamijouTouma