Marine Arena

It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 07:22

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 15:54 
Newcomer
Newcomer

i think it is a good think that MA league is running, it keeps the game competitiv, but i got a few concerns about the format:

1) annoucment
first of all my major concer about the league always was that games just get counted into the league without telling anybody.
why is that a problem you may ask.
well, lets say you want to test new strategies, or just go for some fun styles, then a competitive game that counts might not be the best way to do it.
that is why it should always be decided b4 the game starts whether the game counts or not (not afterwoods.....)

2) highest bounty giving a point
highest bounty giving a point is bad i think.
anybody can get highest bounty with reapers for example, when your ally emps you all sentry and kills all ravens around you.
the most important and difficult role is the support!
supporting an ally properly needs alot of game knowlege, good micro (support doesnt farm), and good teamplay skills.
best example was tournament finals.
gym and royal won because of royals nova, that killed the Dark Archon and the HT multiple times, giving gym all freedom to farm and keep mid.
giving a point to the highest bounty while they very key was the support does not seem very fair.
giving 1 point for HB would make ppl go for farming solo styles instead of playing in team and take on the role of a support

3) 2x bounty
now when somebody has twice the bounty of his ally, that tells me that this person doesnt teamplay very good, leaving the ally to starve.
sense MA is a teamgame playing solo should not be rewarded!
when you team with a weaker player, it is your responsibilty to cover him, instead of leaving your ally alone in the cold.
i would go as far saying that 2x bounty should give a minus point, not +1.
this also encourages ppl to help out weaker players more!!

@Raiden
it would be nice to get and leaderboard icon for winning a leageu as well, to reward participating in the league

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 15:59 
Newcomer
Newcomer

league takes a fuckton of time though. tournament does not. not nearly as much time.
the winners of league will be those with the least amount of life left in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFE6qQ3ySXE

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:22 
Tourney Winner
Tourney Winner

I do not think that it is as competetive as you think it is. It started out to be a way to track results and as it was not considered competetive people did not think about the head- and doublebounty. But if we were to make this more competetive as Andriu suggested, the removement lf the +1 point for 2x bounty becomes mandatory in my opinion!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:23 
Tourney Winner
Tourney Winner

@Uber the ranking depends on your average points not the overall!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:38 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey Vincent,
thanks for valuable feedback.

As to announcing whether game is counted for league - since last season it was mostly for OoE (I think) everyone from OoE knew that if we play a pre it's counted ;) but since we wanna do it for whole community announcing that game is counted to league sounds as a good idea.

I think that removing 2x bounty is an ok idea and have nothing against implementing it if others find it also a good idea. Initial idea behind it was to promote players that despite having teammate who was much worse did great.

As to HB, I would keep it, as it is a way to pick a best player in the pre that is objective. I think that most players are aware that if you starve your teammate or steal his kills he will do bad.

In final 8 tourney I would skip additional points.

As gym pointed out we treated it more as a fun element to see how you do in comparison to others ;) I hope that despite it being more element we will keep the fun and friendly element.

Last edited by Andriu on 01 Feb 2017, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:40 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Initial post from tourney section:

While I was still in OoE we have started a league where we record results of random pres if one of designated people plays in one (Me, Excal, Envy, CanCan, Grim)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

We have already finished season 1 and feelings are very positive - you can check your results over longer period of times, see who you work well / bad with, etc.

I am open to letting more people be able to record results and thus make this league a MA EU thing not only OoE & friends. (example Gymshark has already received rights 2 days ago)

My idea would be the following: we record random pres.
After certain amount of time we organize a tourney where best 8 players (based on average, with more than x games played) play a best of 3 to see who is best of the best. As there won't be fixed teams, hopefully we will avoid targeting specific teams or clan wars, etc.

I believe this would be a fun way to get the whole community together.

why random?
- so that even if you are not a top player you can still get one in your team and have a chance at winning game / getting good place in the league.
- it's fair to all, as everyone has same chance to get any player.
- hopefully, it will dismiss the whole idea of clan wars

PS I'm open for suggestion

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:58 

vincent wrote: i think it is a good think that MA league is running, it keeps the game competitiv, but i got a few concerns about the format:

1) annoucment
first of all my major concer about the league always was that games just get counted into the league without telling anybody.
why is that a problem you may ask.
well, lets say you want to test new strategies, or just go for some fun styles, then a competitive game that counts might not be the best way to do it.
that is why it should always be decided b4 the game starts whether the game counts or not (not afterwoods.....)

2) highest bounty giving a point
highest bounty giving a point is bad i think.
anybody can get highest bounty with reapers for example, when your ally emps you all sentry and kills all ravens around you.
the most important and difficult role is the support!
supporting an ally properly needs alot of game knowlege, good micro (support doesnt farm), and good teamplay skills.
best example was tournament finals.
gym and royal won because of royals nova, that killed the Dark Archon and the HT multiple times, giving gym all freedom to farm and keep mid.
giving a point to the highest bounty while they very key was the support does not seem very fair.
giving 1 point for HB would make ppl go for farming solo styles instead of playing in team and take on the role of a support

3) 2x bounty
now when somebody has twice the bounty of his ally, that tells me that this person doesnt teamplay very good, leaving the ally to starve.
sense MA is a teamgame playing solo should not be rewarded!
when you team with a weaker player, it is your responsibilty to cover him, instead of leaving your ally alone in the cold.
i would go as far saying that 2x bounty should give a minus point, not +1.
this also encourages ppl to help out weaker players more!!

@Raiden
it would be nice to get and leaderboard icon for winning a leageu as well, to reward participating in the league
this ma league thing is a great personal thing andriu (sry if more worked on it but i thought andriu started it up, then i mean everyone with it) made, and he should feel free to count any game or any pre into it imo, for example i told him i dont care much about playing ma being very tired or trolling a bit sometimes, so i dont mind the stats i have there, caring about it is a diff story :) but i still appreciate the work he puts into it for the people who want to participate and have their stats saved up, i personally declined to take part in the adding of games as it indeed requires just that extra bit of work that one (like myself :D ) can and some (like myself :D ) want to avoid ^^
so overall, i just wanted to say again how much i appreciate and support andrius(and all who help him) input for the community (y)

@the double bounty thing THO
i do disagree with having less points for having a high bounty; furthermore some people who prefer to play a support-style (like myself) and help their mate to get really far ahead, it would be reasonable to reward the double bountied team
saying a double bounty towards teammate speaks of bad teamplay doesn't seem reasonable to me, it just means u are a machine like cary ;) and your mate shall appreciate u being here ^^, starving is not quite a thing anymore since SD was implemented

@top bounty
top bounty should be rewarded, but never as much as the win itself, because a clean playstyle benefits from having a lot of pure ups, and an elite/hero focused style sometimes requires to watch out more, so i see both of these options about equally, alltho, since ma became a very hero and elite focused gameplay, i am a lot more impressed by clean(no hero or elite losses) or pure army(no elites or heroes/mby just a ghost) playstyles which leads me to my suggestion to reward these kind of playstyles-if successfull- with an extra point or sth @andriu :)

@support players: i wouldn't rate them that high (didn't read that part yet when i called myself a support) at least not higher than the carries, who need to be incredibly focused on the game, and actually try to win (unlike the support( just my own experience :D ))