It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 20:00

All times are UTC

Post subject: new Elite Unit
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 13:44 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Battle.net ID: 2683
Hey MA Community,

With this post I want to suggestion a new Elite Unit for the Elite Shop.
Why? Because in my opinion one of the biggest balance issues can't be solved without it.
Melee was always in a disadvantage early game. ( speaking of before the 10 Minute mark )
Ofcourse Temple Zealots were a good value lategame. But overall, picking melee as a starting Merc was mostly a disadvantage caused by the Map Layout, ( less space to surround enemies )
Air elites ( BC, Banshee, Oracle ... ) and Air Merc.
The only good way to counter Air Elite and Merc as a melee player are Vikings and Corrupter which are not really working well with melee merc. The Synergy is not as good as with ranged Merc. They can easily get sniped out.

So I suggest an Elite Unit which is not viable against Air for Ranged Merc Player - but for melee.

My Suggestion:
Ravasaur
- Cost 300 Minerals
This unit has the same sidebuff like Ultralisk. Increasing the Armor of nearby Units by 1.
Beside that he has no melee Attack - only Anti Air. ( Something like the old Brutalisk )
With maybe 150 Damage on 1,0 Attack Speed ( just an Idea ofc tests are required )
The 2x 200 Upgrades are either :
1. Upgrading Air Splash and armor bonus ( against Merc )
2. Upgrading Air single Target Damage ( against Air Elites / Heroes )

With this implementation I also wanna give the Possibility to Buff BC, Banshee and other Air ELite / Heroes since it will be a new Hardcounter.
Ravasaur won't be such a good viable Option for Ranged Merc Player since the Armor Bonus isn't helping that much + the Combination of Vikings / Corrupter + Ranged Merc is way stronger than 1 single unit.
Beside Temple I rarely see other Melee Merc. Sometimes caused by the Air Dominance.
The Only Problem I see with this Suggestion is that the new Elite is still easy to get Sniped out so I Suggest either high Hitpoints or a fast Movement Speed.
Another possibility is a cheap price and a high limited amout ( 3-4 ) but I fear that it will be too viable and make other Anti Air Elites unnessesary.

I'm Highly interested into your Opinions about the Suggestion.
Again, It is just an Idea - additional Ideas can be suggested.

Post subject: Re: new Elite Unit
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 15:32 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: aratnis#2642
Hi Terotex,

I don't really think that mele merc are weaker in early game (before the 10 minutes mark.)
But they are more punishing if at any time you lost all of them. (like in a savior or a bad fight.)

I always go for specters and even if I'm supposed to counter zealots, I'll have to never get surrounded or be overwhelmed by them otherwise I'll just get rekt.

But if I did hit and run correctly (and didn't get flanked) then yeah they are no much of a threat. (same can be said about zerglings. (even if they still have the banelings option)

I do think that in the elite shop we don't have much as ground anti air. (might be a good card to have)

But as for the +1 armor buff... I don't think it would mater that much. cause it will mainly impact marines (and maybe zerglings haven't played them much don't know their stats well.)
since 1 more or less damage on specter or marauders will be irrelevant. (don't really know, will need more tests. (or maybe the buffs can be stack (with like + 3 armor if you buy 3 of them ? )

Here are my thoughts about it.

PS : the other option would be to buff the basic anti air of the viking. (like better acceleration and desceleration (so they could hit and run easyer in air mode) ) cause actually they are good AA if you buy the AA mode, but they can't chase their targets... (excepts BC and motherships...)

And they are good on the deck if you buy the +1 range but then you give up on usig them as AA.

PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 17:22 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Battle.net ID: 2683
PS : the other option would be to buff the basic anti air of the viking. (like better acceleration and desceleration (so they could hit and run easyer in air mode) ) cause actually they are good AA if you buy the AA mode, but they can't chase their targets... (excepts BC and motherships...)

And they are good on the deck if you buy the +1 range but then you give up on usig them as AA.
[/quote]

The problem for example is :
If you go Melee and one side is using Air merc or Phoenix for example and the other is using Thors.
Vikings wont really fit well into your army ( specific if you go melee only like warps ) and they get easily sniped out

PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 19:50 

tldr, i red the part on vikings; if vikings could chase unslowed air (with corr u can slow) do u have any fkn idea how op that wud be? its like this fopr a reason

PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 20:34 
Newcomer
Newcomer

+1 crow

Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum
Vero=best mod.
Vero4admin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFE6qQ3ySXE

PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 23:19 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: ExCaL#2981
+1 crow

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 10:12 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: aratnis#2642
Crow wrote: if vikings could chase unslowed air [...] do u have any fkn idea how op that wud be?
Well it would be quite OP isn't it ? ^^