Marine Arena

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 21:21

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 16:24 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: HunterKiller#2315
"well i would recommend you learning how to play against that then since it seems to be the only thing stopping you from winning against "weaker" players"
-Crow

My problem with medivacs is that they offer too much value to exploit. You can't even emp a ht if the opponent uses a medivac... drop->Story->load. The emp 'spell' has a short delay and it is impossible to emp the ht like this.

I am not a bad player. I play this game for about 10 years now and won vs almost ever mentionable players in pups. solo with rnd. players even.
However, I had a game vs 'Nir' and it looked like a safe win. Then he goes for ht+ medivac and I go 2x ghost just to be safe. Well... not even 1 emp hit the HT (probably one or twice but not when it mattered the most), the drop/load shit was simply too fast. Not even Star Wars has this technology!
Sure, there are more counters than just that, but it isnt worth it since you have to split your attention too much. We both had rnds in our team and my partner was clueless. Nir caught up with me until we were even and finally won since I couldn't do much more.

Tried it with 2x colo once but they too easy to counter when the opponent goes 2ghost. Even the most retard player will be able to kill two colo if you explain it nice and carefully.

Well, I accept some guidance and suggestions... but remember that I play solo mostly (I mean not in a premade team but with a rnd player) and I can't focus my game on countering a single unit or I will lose the advantage. And there is simply no effective method to counter the medivac/hero stuff without splitting too much attention. Just makes me lose the game because I had to go into a passive mode.

PS: Its always the same players who do this (excal, scimitar, boombap etc....) when they are in the disadvantage (especially scimitar he is in love with medivacs).
The current medivacs in ma should be renamed in 'Kamikaze Ship'... they are damn healer ships and not tactical transport stuff.

My Suggestions:
-A short delay when you want to load your units into the ship so you have to think twice where you want to drop them etc, no more hero emp escape.
-lower flying speed and no 'boost'

Thank you for your time. :smile:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 16:55 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Eyyo#21790
Ghosts should be able to have an impact against medi ht if u are better than ur opponent. What you want to do is to either emp the medi (prevents it from being able to pick up the ht) or snipe the medi into an emp for the ht. Alternatively you can get a thor (its high AA damage/range will keep the medi away)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 21:43 
Newcomer
Newcomer

My eyes are bleeding

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019, 07:50 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Battle.net ID: ExCaL#2981
My reply will be in two parts:

Part 1 - why I have a problem and disagree with your argument about nerf
Part 2 - Tips to counter medivac

Part 1

Medivac is actually way less in meta than it used to be. In a pub game, its not the choice to farm fast. Likewise in premade/league, other choices of elites and heroes are picked since they offer more value.

I totally disagree with the argument you present for several reasons:
- "I play solo therefore nerf it": its a team game.
- "It has no counter": will explain it has several in part 2
- "it offers too much value to exploit": not in meta
- "people use it late game and catch up and beat me": some strats are better in different phases of the game. Things like hero invests are going to peak at mid to late game. This is obvious.
- Hero medi play is one of the most micro/skilled combos in the game. It isn't my preference or favourite tactic, but I can do it. Nerfing yet another option for strat variety or micro to "level the playing field" would just be rediculous, although this seems to be the way its going.

Part 2 - Counters

- emp the medi
- drop your own medi (especially with a ton of goliath)
- phoenix
- dt thor (with an ally this is the hardest counter)
- corruptor

Thanks for posting and hope this helps you get ontop of medi

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019, 18:00 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: HunterKiller#2315
Thanks for the useful replies, especially demien. Will try it with bleeding eyes next time

So I can actually emp a medivac to prevent it from lading the ht? :O

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2019, 20:03 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Nvidia#2240
is it possible to make medi able to load only one type of units at a time? = you select merc units and a random hero and try to load both result in = only hero or only merc load in.
like this you can focus your microgestion on hero or merc but you cant fly all other the map with all your stuff, like merc + ht...

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 08:38 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Reformed#21996
Medivac is in my opinion the best elite in the game, it’s well designed and balanced. The only potential problem I can imagine, is the fact, that there’s no delay on hero loading/unloading, since the EMP has a travel time. So let’s say it takes 0.25 seconds for the EMP to reach the medivac, if the player is able to unload the hero, cast a spell, and then load it back, faster than 0.25 seconds, it could potentially be unbalanced, but since no one is able to do this consistently it’s not a problem. Now you may ask me why the fuck did you type such a long message, saying absolutely nothing, and to be honest, I have no idea. It’s probably because I’m sitting in a bus on a 5 hour trip, holy shit why do I keep typing? Who am I even asking? Myself? I think so, I think I’m going insane. Btw, if you have forgotten how to calculate the hypotenuses in a right triangle or what it’s called, just remember that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 09:12 
Newcomer
Newcomer

ExCaL wrote: My reply will be in two parts:

Part 1 - why I have a problem and disagree with your argument about nerf
Part 2 - Tips to counter medivac

Part 1

Medivac is actually way less in meta than it used to be. In a pub game, its not the choice to farm fast. Likewise in premade/league, other choices of elites and heroes are picked since they offer more value.

I totally disagree with the argument you present for several reasons:
- "I play solo therefore nerf it": its a team game.
- "It has no counter": will explain it has several in part 2
- "it offers too much value to exploit": not in meta
- "people use it late game and catch up and beat me": some strats are better in different phases of the game. Things like hero invests are going to peak at mid to late game. This is obvious.
- Hero medi play is one of the most micro/skilled combos in the game. It isn't my preference or favourite tactic, but I can do it. Nerfing yet another option for strat variety or micro to "level the playing field" would just be rediculous, although this seems to be the way its going.

Part 2 - Counters

- emp the medi
- drop your own medi (especially with a ton of goliath)
- phoenix
- dt thor (with an ally this is the hardest counter)
- corruptor

Thanks for posting and hope this helps you get ontop of medi
+1

i would also say that someone who is apparently considering himself very knowledgeable and good at a game that he played for "10 years" now should know this and overall i suggest for people to learn about unit interactions thoroughly before suggesting a balance change

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 10:02 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Eyyo#21790
Well tbf it is difficult to know which knowledge you lack so just being corrected in a thread isnt that big of a deal

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 15:51 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: starelf
medi makes the game pretty fun and it's basically required when playing with randoms to not get bodyblocked, but it might be too strong for 200 minerals... if it was possible the price should scale with gametime, since 40 minutes in 200 minerals is nothing but 10 minutes in it's pretty big.