Marine Arena

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 06:53

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 12:57 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Hello.

This topic will provide all the information about upcoming changes and will be updated with more added.

Lets start with a change on Squad Mode in order to make it have 1 more difference compared to Classic and separate this more even more.

New Squad Mode:
The focus on changing Squad is to make it different in terms of gameplay, at the moment squad mode is exactly the same like "Classic Mode", just having less supply & the +5 minerals every 15 seconds.
Therefore this mode is the less favored in terms of player votes and some changes are required to make it more preferable.

Option 1:
Will offer the same supply as the current one, but without any "Elite Mercenary Shops" available.
(By removing Elite Mercenaries in Squad Mode, main focus goes on Marines & Mercenaries, with hero play still being available)

Option 2:
Keep the same supply as current Squad, but reduce the available charges for Elite Mercenaries.
For example, since supply is being reduced, the same will happened with Elites, reducing all the charges to 1 and increasing the cooldown periods.
This will ensure that Elite Mercenary usage will also be less since there's less Marine & Merc supply for all the players.

Air Mercenaries:
Spawning times will be reduced to 8 seconds from 10.
Bounty per unit kill will be increased to 16 from 14.
This change comes to put Air mercenaries into the same spot as all other mercs, by using spawning time = bounty.

Command Center:
Command Centers will have a very short range of detection, since CC is the Ultimate Strucutre of a player which in case its destroyed, the game is over, giving a very short range detection will help against attacks from "Cloaked/Burrowed" units if Missile turrets are Destroyed and there's not any base defense around able to provide Detection.

Infested Savior:
This change can make the first minutes of the game more intense, but will also make players being more cautious and have more communication together.
During the very first minutes of the game, Infested saviors will not be available (cooldown period). This period will ensure that during the first minutes of the game, all feed will come out from "Marines or Mercs", so players need to pay attention in any upcoming rush attacks.

Fastest Speed:
When fastest is selected, all Command Centers will receive a "Planetary Forteress" Upgrade by default. Since there are no Infested Saviors, giving to all players a strongest Command center to begin with can change and benefit this Game Speed.

Marine Bounty:
There have been some arguements towards Marine kill bounty, let me explain:
Early game Marines are weak and the most easiest units to kill. This makes it easy if heroes/elites are used to gain a difference from the other teams and get the lead, sometimes by a lot.

Option 1:
Reducing the Kill bounty to 2 from 3, will still keep Marines on the easy to kill spot, but without giving the same amount back, early game is very important and therefore needs the best balance as possible.
Using "Double Spawn" will increase Marine kill bounty by +1 making it have the same kill bounty like before.

Option 2:
Reduce Marine kill bounty to 2, but increase early Mercenary bounty by +1.
This will still ensure that the easiest to kill units give a lower bounty, and give the -1 loss from Starting Mercenaries which are harder to kill.
Further Modifications might be required to other Tiers/Morphs kill bounty.

All the feedback will be closely looked and analyzed, before implementing the changes.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 15:21 
Newcomer
Newcomer

option 1 for squad mode would make squad even worse than it already is.
option 2 could atleast make it interesting but im not sure if it would be good specially because a lot of elites would become unviable i think.

i dont think air needs a buff but whatever.

please dont give ccs detection. sniping ccs by destroying base defence is a viable strat, or hiding ghosts right in the back of the base. it is the duty of the players to react when someone buys "destroy all base defences" for 500. when someone does that it is very obvious they are planning to do something so its not hard at all to react to it.

Savior: saviors is what makes MA to what MA is. the entire act of avoiding / bating out saviors or using them to get feed early. doing this i feel will just make the game about picking the right mercenaries at the start. imagine if you pick marauders and someone rushes you with zealots. there is nothing you can do earlygame except build base defences which is a big waste of money.

Fastest: i like this change because fastest is complete trash so anything that could make it interesting is worth to try i think.
remove the ability to buy armor for base defences and ccs though so it still is a risky mode where you cant just buy armor whenever you are in a sticky situation.

Marines are in absolutely no need of a buff. this would reduce the feed they give by 33% which is a big deal. marines are already used every game by everyone to just rush people. letting them bumrush you without even feeding wouldnt be good at all for balance.
about option 2 that would screw up with the spawntime = bounty formula. specially for lings if they give 3 while marauders will give 5. lings will get an 50% bounty increase while marauders only a 25% bounty increase.

Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum
Vero=best mod.
Vero4admin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFE6qQ3ySXE

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 17:01 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Eyyo#21790
+1 gustav
Dont like the direction of squad mode, early ellite and ghost play is what makes the early game fun imo

Wouldnt say air needs a buff

Saviour change is completely off the map and seems unasked for. Do we just start rushing the best team with melee in pres now?

Marine bounty change seems unasked for. It feels really satisfying to see the 3s when u kill them. Besides lowering it would make the game a lot slower (marines stand for a lot of the bounty) and it seemed like you people were interested in reducing the game time so seems a bit contradictory.

Idm cc detection

Fastest change is welcome i guess

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 17:35 
Newcomer
Newcomer

every idea is retarded except for the pf in fastest well done.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 20:18 
Newcomer
Newcomer

fluffy wrote: every idea is retarded except for the pf in fastest well done.
+1

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 20:37 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: TPKpaul#2964
Raiden wrote:

Air Mercenaries:
This change comes to put Air mercenaries into the same spot as all other mercs, by using spawning time = bounty.

I see the logic there. Air can be strong after Gol nerf too

Command Center:
Command Centers will have a very short range of detection, since CC is the Ultimate Strucutre of a player which in case its destroyed, the game is over, giving a very short range detection will help against attacks from "Cloaked/Burrowed" units if Missile turrets are Destroyed and there's not any base defense around able to provide Detection.
No no no! Don't dumb down a strategic part of the game, I hasten to add that I hate it happening to me and i'm not a burrow player but this just puts off the experience players

Infested Savior:
This change can make the first minutes of the game more intense, but will also make players being more cautious and have more communication together.
During the very first minutes of the game, Infested saviors will not be available (cooldown period). This period will ensure that during the first minutes of the game, all feed will come out from "Marines or Mercs", so players need to pay attention in any upcoming rush attacks.

I agree with this, will stop a noob being raped by a Sav early on and then leaving

Fastest Speed:
When fastest is selected, all Command Centers will receive a "Planetary Forteress" Upgrade by default. Since there are no Infested Saviors, giving to all players a strongest Command center to begin with can change and benefit this Game Speed.

would turn fastest mode into not very fast mode, let the players decide if they want to invest or not. This is just asking for some noob to spam 5 armour and make it long and boring so no one ever plays it again :(

Marine Bounty:
Early game Marines are weak and the most easiest units to kill. This makes it easy if heroes/elites are used to gain a difference from the other teams and get the lead, sometimes by a lot.

Option 1:
Reducing the Kill bounty to 2 from 3, will still keep Marines on the easy to kill spot, but without giving the same amount back, early game is very important and therefore needs the best balance as possible.
Using "Double Spawn" will increase Marine kill bounty by +1 making it have the same kill bounty like before.
Interesting but i think maybe will encourage players to just play marine???

Option 2:
Reduce Marine kill bounty to 2, but increase early Mercenary bounty by +1.
This will still ensure that the easiest to kill units give a lower bounty, and give the -1 loss from Starting Mercenaries which are harder to kill.
Further Modifications might be required to other Tiers/Morphs kill bounty.

same again will see a lot of ling marine i suspect?

All the feedback will be closely looked and analyzed, before implementing the changes.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 20:39 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: TPKpaul#2964
Just re-read RE spawning times being quicking on the air. Don't need that in my life!! :D

Anyway @Raiden I hope these are interesting for you :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 23:30 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle.net ID: Eyyo#21790
@paul wouldnt the second option kinda hurt ling marine? Causes lings to feed 50% more. If anything it nerfs lings since the others just feed 25% more

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 08:50 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

All changes suggestions pretty awfull :o

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 23:53 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Raiden wrote:

New Squad Mode:
The focus on changing Squad is to make it different in terms of gameplay, at the moment squad mode is exactly the same like "Classic Mode", just having less supply & the +5 minerals every 15 seconds.
Therefore this mode is the less favored in terms of player votes and some changes are required to make it more preferable.

Mmm, This mode is largely unused. I dont know if these modifications (option 1 or 2) will change that...

Air Mercenaries:

I see the point here. But air are specially strong when they are massed. This will just help too much that phenomenon. i just fear that.

Command Center:
Command Centers will have a very short range of detection, since CC is the Ultimate Strucutre of a player which in case its destroyed, the game is over.

I can understand taht in a way but it is also a part of the strategy, so this just remove the responsability from players by not checking what is happening in the game

Infested Savior:
During the very first minutes of the game, Infested saviors will not be available (cooldown period).
THis must be tested but i just fear the early melee rush+F2...

Fastest Speed:

One of the good propositions. I hope tjis can make this mode much less dumb! :)

Marine Bounty:

MArines tech strategy is th most viable long term strategy in MA. This will make just this build even stronger by not rewarding conveniently the opponent. Reducing bounty will not lead also to the proud "bounty = spawn time". THis looks in contrary to the air proposition...
Also If the game needs to be faster (see SD proposition), I dont see how this can be possible with less income into the game...
Option 2 might overcome slighlty the overall bounty amount which is produced in early game, but as pointed by other people i dont see how zergling can fit here as you cant use decimal for bounty numbers. So this is still a problem.